Saturday 12 January 2013

Props Me Before I Expire

Twelve days ago I said:
"No specific plans for February and March as yet but I'd like to be getting close to 5k in both swimming and running."
 On my way to work this morning I used the car to measure a mile from my usual start-running-place. It was another half a km or so into the unlit section with an evil little hill right at the end - I run a hairpin out-and-back so if I go up, I have to come back down it and vice versa. When I got back I added it to my usual route, inserted a slightly longer loop at the end, et voila, a 5km. Thought I'd give it a try. It took me 38m 44s: slow to any experienced runner, sure, but within seconds of my time for last year's Salford 5km (which was a PB despite all the walking and awfully hot weather), and the first time I've hit 5km since September last year. I think that just goes to show how much fitter the Masters sessions have got me - if I can do this hilly route in the freezing cold (it must be -2oC again, lots of frost) in the same time as last year's flat then this year's flats ought to be faster.

A few weeks before Christmas I came out of Masters and said it felt like I'd left my lungs at the bottom of the pool; that's how I feel tonight. But I noticed a big jump in what I could cope with the following week, so let's hope it's a good sign and I can get a bit more confident at this extension to my route. I had a lot of nasty head stuff to deal with tonight, along with a stitch and protesting ankles. Much chuntering about fat lasses running badly. My shadow is not my friend on nights like this and I had to spend a lot of time debunking the lies. Hopefully it will soon pass. Guess I need a new target now...

I am sore, stiff and still slightly out of breath 30mins later (!), but I'll be in the pool in nine hours. That'll fix me!